Chinese actor, martial artist, film director, producer, action choreographer, and multiple-time world wushu tournament champion.
Hello everyone! We hope that you are all having a wonderful Easter and long weekend.
It is that time again where we showcase an Action Movie Star. Someone who you can aspire to one day become when you, yourself, become an Action Movie Star.
This week we would like to introduce Donnie Yen. Here are some fun facts about him as well as a favourite scene that showcases his talent.
- Born 27 July 1963 in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
- Donnie is credited for contributing to the popularisation of the traditional martial arts style known as Wing Chun.
- He has displayed notable skills in a wide variety of martial arts, being well-versed in Tai chi chuan, boxing, kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do, Hapkido, Taekwondo, karate, Muay Thai, wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wing Chun, and Wushu. That is a long list…
- At the age of nine, Donnie started practising Karate. It was then at the age of fourteen, Yen focused on practising wushu seriously after dropping out of school.
- Donnie’s family is also talented in music, all of his family members are musicians. His mother is a soprano, in addition to being a martial arts teacher in Boston, while his father is a violinist. From a young age, he was taught by his parents to play musical instruments, including the piano.
- As well as being talented in martial arts, Donnie also knows hip-hop dancing and breakdancing.
- Donnie Yen is considered as one of the top action choreographers in the world, having being invited to Hollywood to choreograph blockbusters such as Blade II, Highlander: Endgame, and Shanghai Knights. In Asia, he is the action choreographer for most of his movies and has won multiple awards for his action choreography.
- His levels are as follows:
6th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo
Black Belt in Judo
Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Gold Medals in Wushu Competitions